The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) is continuously looking for motivated interns with an interest in transitional justice and the conflict in Syria. Interns are responsible for communicating SJAC’s message to Syrians and the international community. Interns also have the opportunity to pursue their own research, as long as it contributes to SJAC’s mission to prevent impunity, promote redress for victims, and facilitate principled institutional reform in Syria’s post-conflict period.
The Internship rotates approximately every four months. The schedule for the Internship is as follows:
Fall Internship: August 25 – December 23
Spring Internship: January 15 – May 15
Summer Internship: May 15 – August 25
Tasks of a SJAC intern include:
- The production of communications materials, including blog posts, reports, factsheets, infographics, social media content, and talking points.
- Contribution to and maintenance of the SJAC website, including updating and promoting the Transitional Justice Library, event listings, the blog, and other content as needed.
- Regular updates to the data for SJAC’s monitoring and evaluation plan. This requires working closely with SJAC staff to gather necessary information and create visualizations of the data.
- Other duties as assigned.
Strong English proficiency is required. Arabic proficiency is preferred, but not required. Knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp, Google Analytics, Excel, and Adobe Suites is strongly desired. Interns must be able to work from the SJAC office in Washington, DC and are paid at the rate of $13/hour. Internships are typically 20-30 hours per week.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample not to exceed 800 words. The writing sample should be an example blog post that demonstrates your knowledge of transitional justice and the Syrian conflict, explaining the connection between a current event and a justice/accountability topic relevant for Syria. In the subject line of your email and in your cover letter, please be sure to include the term for which you are applying [Fall, Spring, Summer].
Full Stack Web Developer (Consultant)
CONSULTANCY TITLE: Full Stack Web Developer
LOCATION: Washington, DC/Remote
REPORTS TO: Technology Officer
The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) in Washington, DC is soliciting applications to establish a Preferred Vendors list of part-time Full Stack Web Developer consultants. Developers will contribute to the work of our database development team that develops web-based applications and backend services. We use a technology stack based on Python, Django, Backbone.js, Solr, and Linux to complete projects.
Terms of Consultancy
SJAC will evaluate applications for Full Stack Web Developer consultant roles based on best overall value and establish a framework consulting agreement for a base period of one year with two option periods of one year each. Option years will be exercised based on satisfactory performance. To fulfill SJAC’s web development needs as they arise, SJAC will award discrete task orders with a specific scope of work, deliverable schedule, and ceiling. Task orders will be assigned to consultants on the preferred vendor list based on availability, required expertise, and best value. SJAC will distribute work among the preferred vendors to the extent possible. The length and level of effort necessary to complete individual task orders will vary, ranging from 4-35 hours/week for 2 weeks – 4 months.
Scope of Work
- Use open source web development applications to develop and maintain new & old user interfaces.
- Debug, fix and enhance existing user interfaces issues using JS (Backbone.js, JQuery).
- Develop web backends using a Python based web framework (Django).
- Perform other technical tasks as directed.
- 2 years web development experience, including Python (Django/Flask)
- 2 years experience with modern JS (Backbone, Jquery etc)
- Experience with Linux, MySQL, Celery, AWS, Rest and GitHub
- Excellent team communication and collaboration skills and ability to handle confidential information.
- Professional working proficiency in verbal and written English.
- Ability to be consistent, adhere to deadlines and work in an organized manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field. Significant work experience in web development may be acceptable in lieu of formal degree.
- Experience or familiarity with Solr or ElasticSearch.
- Any experience with : Web-scraping, D3.js, and Ansible .
- Working knowledge of Arabic preferred, but not required
- Exposure to multi-lingual web applications preferred, but not required.
- Exposure to human rights work preferred, but not required.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com using the subject line “ Full Stack Web Developer – [your name]”. Included in your cover letter should be a proposed hourly rate for your services.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
GRADE LEVEL: Two
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
LOCATION: Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Operations Officer & Legal & Strategy Analyst
SJAC is seeking a Program Associate to provide programmatic and administrative support in the day-to-day administration of SJAC activities.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative, logistical, and communicationssupport for SJAC
- Contribute to project monitoring and evaluation, analyzing results to inform project implementation.
- Coordinateresearch, writing, and editing of communications content for SJAC publications, website, and promotional materials.
- Assist with research and/or writing summaries of project activities and results including quarterly and other program reports for funding agencies.
- Support senior staff in researching and developing proposals and other tasks as deemed necessary for new business development.
- Draft and monitor consulting agreements, contracts, and subgrants.
- Manage programmatic and financial progress of subgrantees, and ensure compliance with donor and SJAC requirements.
- Track and analyze financial data including program expenditures, program budgets, and grantee and vendor payments.
- Provide logistics and operations support including research, liaising with outside vendors, and arranging travel accommodations for SJAC staff and Board members.
- Process payments according to SJAC’s policies and procedures.
- Other administrative and programmatic duties, as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Middle East Studies, Political Science, or related field.
- Minimum one year of professional administrative experience (including internships) in an international organization or similar institution.
- Excellent organizational skills, including attention to detail, ability to prioritize and multi-task, and ability to work under and adhere to tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team; must be a team player and demonstrate a sense of responsibility and sensitivity in dealing with diverse audiences.
- Experience with principles of monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience working in or knowledge of the Middle East.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience using Excel.
- Experience in a non-profit setting, working on programs that receive government grants preferred.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Google Analytics, and Google Forms preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Arabic preferred, but not required.
Work Eligibility Requirements
Candidates should have legal work authorization and be eligible to work in the United States. SJAC is unable to provide any Visa sponsorship.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter that includes your salary range requirements with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Program Associate 2017 – [Your Name]” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Data Analyst Consultant (Remote)
REPORTS TO: Senior Data Analyst
LOCATION: Global (Remote)
HOURS: 30 hours/week
About the Consultancy:
SJAC is seeking consultants to join its Data Analysis team to process and analyze documentation of violations by all sides of the conflict. The Data Analyst will use his or her expertise to watch, organize, and analyze documentation of human rights violations in Syria (such as videos, photographs, written documents, etc.). Documentation will be labeled and stored within a special database using SJAC’s methodology.
Data Analysts may work hours on their own schedule and work with SJAC to determine target numbers of hours each quarter. Data Analysts, however, should be available for pre-scheduled meetings on a weekly basis. SJAC anticipates awarding up to 9 consultancy agreements for Data Analysts. Agreements will be made for a base period of one year with two option periods of one year each. Option years will be exercised based on satisfactory performance.
- Process pieces of documentation into the SJAC database;
- Collaborate with team members to address issues and report on system bugs;
- Review content (videos, pictures, reports, sound files, etc.) and extract information for use in analysis;
- Accurately tag and label different pieces of information in the database according to SJAC’s guidelines, methodology, and standards;
- Identify problematic areas and gaps in data and report to supervisors;
- Perform data entry in Arabic and English;
- Understand the context and background in which the content was created;
- Be able to aggregate different pieces of information into groups and categories;
- Work with other team members to address and resolve complex issues encountered during analysis;
- Participate in regular team calls, and collaborate using online teamwork tools;
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Monthly timesheets.
- High school diploma;
- Proficiency in Arabic (spoken and written) and English (especially written) are musts;
- Knowledge of Syria and the Syrian conflict is a plus (including Syrian Arabic dialects);
- Willingness to watch and handle very graphic content;
- Previous data entry experience preferred;
- Basic proficiency with software and online user interfaces;
- Strong work ethic and commitment to accuracy and detail;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Ability to function professionally and effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
To apply to this position, please fill and submit this form. Attached to your form submission should be a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter. In the cover letter please describe your interest in the position, relevant background, and your availability. Applicants are encouraged to submit before April 30, 2018, but applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. This posting will remain on SJAC’s website until all consultancies are filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE