Reports to: Legal Director
Location: Hamburg, Germany
About the Consultancy:
The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) seeks a trial monitor based in Hamburg, Germany to support its Trial Monitoring project. The trial monitor will attend court sessions for an ongoing trial related to crimes against humanity committed in Syria. During the court sessions, the trial monitor will take detailed handwritten notes. These notes form the basis for regular summaries to be published on SJAC’s website in both English and Arabic, as well as detailed trial reports forming a historical record of the proceedings. This position will be an estimated 80 hours per month.
- Attend all court proceedings for assigned trials
- Record detailed hand-written notes of factual and procedural matters, as well as sketches when available
- Conduct background research on factual and legal matters that arise or are likely to arise during the trial proceedings
- Draft and review English-language reports and blog articles on trial proceedings and legal matters
- Collaborate with SJAC team members and partners to formulate strategies for trial monitoring and reporting
- Coordinate the review and publication of trial reports and related publications
- Liaise with external partners and parties to the trials, as available, to inform court reporting
- Participate in regular team calls and coordinate with the transitional justice team
- University degree required, a degree in Law, human rights or similar field is preferred. Current students may apply.
- Knowledge of Syria and the Syrian conflict; knowledge of the German criminal procedure, an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience or interest in monitoring trials
- Ability to discuss sensitive topics in an open, respectful, and effective way
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Fluency in German and English. Arabic (including knowledge of Syrian Arabic dialects) is preferred
- Knowledge of gender based violence and the ability to produce gender-sensitive analysis of the Syrian context and justice processes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Live in or near Hamburg, Germany
- Ability to function professionally and effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
SJAC is a diverse organization made up of 40+ team members around the globe. We pride ourselves in our ability to implement programming that is inclusive and responsive to the needs of all Syrians, and believe that our own team’s diversity of viewpoints and experiences helps us to achieve that goal. We encourage all interested applicants to apply, regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
To apply for this position, please email a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter to [email protected]. In the subject line, please put “Trial Monitor – Hamburg, Germany” and your name. In the cover letter, please describe your interest in the position, relevant background, and hourly rate. Applicants are encouraged to submit before March 16, 2024, but applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. This posting will remain on SJAC’s website until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.