Reports To: Legal Director
Founded in 2012, The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting meaningful justice for Syria that holds perpetrators accountable and addresses the grievances of victims, leading to lasting peace and respect for human rights.
Bayanat is an open source data management solution for processing huge amounts of data relevant to human rights abuses and war crimes, developed and maintained by Syrian talents at SJAC.
SJAC seeks an entrepreneurial, collaborative and tech-savvy consultant who is enthusiastic about making a meaningful impact on Bayanat, the tech community, and the human rights sector.
As a Tech Outreach and Development Consultant, you will play a pivotal role in building and nurturing relationships with partners, stakeholders, and funding sources for Bayanat. Your primary focus will be on community outreach and promotion, ensuring that Bayanat thrives within the tech, open source, and human rights ecosystems. You will be responsible for fostering collaborative partnerships within the tech and human rights communities, and serving as an advocate for Bayanat's mission. You will also be responsible for identifying and securing funding opportunities to support its growth and sustainability.
In addition, you will collaborate closely with a usability consultant to collect valuable feedback from grassroots organizations, enhancing Bayanat's usability and accessibility.
This multifaceted role requires a blend of technical aptitude, communication skills, and a deep passion for technology, open source principles, and human rights.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with existing partners and stakeholders within the tech, open source, human rights and OSINT spaces, understanding their needs and ensuring their ongoing engagement with Bayanat.
- Research and identify potential funding sources, including grants, sponsorships, and donations, to support Bayanat’s growth and long-term sustainability.
- Prepare high-quality grant proposals, applications, and reports.
- Act as an ambassador for Bayanat to the broader open source, tech and human rights communities, attending events, conferences, and meetings to promote Bayanat.
- Identify, negotiate, and establish partnerships with organizations that align with Bayanat's mission and values in the fields of technology, open source, human rights, and OSINT investigations.
- Advocate for Bayanat's importance and impact in investigating human rights abuses and war crimes, effectively communicating its value proposition to potential partners and funders.
- Collect and analyze M&E indicators, collaborate with a usability consultant to collect valuable feedback from grassroots organizations to enhance Bayanat’s usability and effectiveness in addressing human rights challenges.
- A bachelor's degree in STEM, Business or a relevant field. Significant work experience in the open source or technology sphere may be acceptable in lieu of a formal degree.
- Passion for technology, open source principles, and human rights and familiarity with the issues at the intersection of these fields.
- Proven experience in outreach, development, or fundraising, preferably within the tech, open source, or human rights sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with a technical aptitude.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
SJAC is a diverse organization made up of 40+ team members around the globe. We pride ourselves in our ability to implement programming that is inclusive and responsive to the needs of all Syrians, and believe that our own team’s diversity of viewpoints and experiences helps us to achieve that goal. We encourage all interested applicants to apply, regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
To apply, please send an email with the subject line “Outreach and Development Consultant” to [email protected], providing a cover letter and resume by October 31, 2023. No phone calls please.