Reports To: Legal Director
The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) is soliciting applications for a Web Developer position.
SJAC will evaluate applications based on best overall value and establish a framework consulting agreement for a probationary period of three months. The consulting agreement can be extended beyond the probationary period based on satisfactory performance and funding availability for up to three years.
The applicants should be available for at least 40 hours/week to fulfill SJAC’s web development needs. The position is remote and with flexible hours.
Scope of Work
- Build, debug and maintain user interfaces using modern front-end technologies.
- Develop web backends using a Flask-based web framework.
- Troubleshoot and work on deployment tasks.
- Integrate with APIs and code created by other team members.
- Participate in code reviews and agile, test-driven processes.
- Participate in weekly team calls.
- Perform other technical tasks as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. Significant work experience in web development may be acceptable in lieu of a formal degree in these areas.
- Experience with technologies such as PostgreSQL, Nginx, and Git.
- Comfortable working on Linux.
- Strong understanding of web architecture, OOP, REST, and Agile.
- Excellent team communication and collaboration skills. Capable of working independently and adapting to existing processes and methodologies. Fast learner and is comfortable with deadlines.
- Experience working with mission-oriented non-governmental organizations similar to SJAC or open-source projects similar to Bayanat.
- Ability to function professionally and effectively in verbal and written English.
- Experience with database systems and optimizations.
- Experience with optimizing application performance and scaling techniques.
- Experience with testing frameworks or developing automated tests.
- Working knowledge of Arabic.
- Exposure to human rights work.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to [email protected] using the subject line “Full Stack Web Developer – [your name]”. Included in your cover letter must be a proposed hourly rate for your services. Applications without cover letters will be disregarded. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a Preferred Vendor list is established.
Candidates on the list will be sent a short hiring exercise that will attempt to simulate the work a successful candidate will be doing. The exercise would take an ideal candidate 1-2 hours and would entail making a change to Bayanat’s code.
SJAC is a diverse organization made up of 40+ team members around the globe. We pride ourselves in our ability to implement programming that is inclusive and responsive to the needs of all Syrians, and believe that our own team’s diversity of viewpoints and experiences helps us to achieve that goal. SJAC implements policies to support and protect all team members, including a strict sexual harassment policy, peer support sessions, and professional psychosocial support. We encourage all interested applicants to apply, regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE