POSITION: SGBV Trainer
REPORTS TO: Legal Director
LOCATION: Remote - Europe preferred, other locations possible
SJAC seeks a consultant to provide training sessions on the documentation of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). The consultant must have expertise on SGBV crimes and documentation, as well as experience working with and interviewing victims and witnesses of such crimes while employing do-no-harm principles. The consultant will provide training session(s) to two of SJAC’s teams who conduct witness interviews and documentation related to crimes in Syria and Iraq. The anticipated training should total between 4-8 hours, depending on the consultant’s proposal and recommendations, and could be divided into 2-4 sessions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and deliver a training program for documentation of SGBV crimes for two of SJAC’s documentation teams. The training proposal should include:
- Instruction on crimes of SGBV, their legal elements, and the evidence required for their proof;
- Tools and tactics that help reduce the risk of re-traumatization and secondary trauma of documenters;
- How to recognize and react to signs of distress from the witness or victim;
- Emphasis on the “Do No Harm” principle and sensitivity toward the witness or victim;
- Information on developments in the field of SGBV documentation and resources that can be utilized by documentation teams;
- Pre and post-tests.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- J.D. or M.A. in relevant subject matter;
- Five or more years of experience working directly with victims of SGBV, including theoretical or practical application of the “Do No Harm” principle
- Experience interviewing victims of SGBV, use of techniques/approaches to prevent retraumatization, monitoring for signs of distress, etc.
- Experience designing and conducting trainings
- Knowledge of international criminal law; knowledge of the Syrian and Iraqi conflicts preferred;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Gender and cultural sensitivity;
- English fluency; fluency in Arabic strongly preferred. Overall strong candidates without fluency in Arabic may be considered
- Candidates based in Europe preferred, but other locations possible
The consultant will be expected to design and administer a training program for two of SJAC’s documentation teams (roughly 10-15 staff in total). The total training time should be at least 4 hours, but no more than 8 hours, to be divided into 2-4 training sessions in total. The training is expected to take place between 1 November and 15 December 2023.
SJAC is a diverse organization made up of 40+ team members around the globe. We pride ourselves in our ability to implement programming that is inclusive and responsive to the needs of all Syrians, and believe that our own team’s diversity of viewpoints and experiences helps us to achieve that goal. We encourage all interested applicants to apply, regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
To apply for this position, please email a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter to [email protected]. In the subject line, please put “SGBV Consultant” and your location. In the cover letter, please describe your relevant background and provide a brief proposal for the training program you would implement, including estimated training hours, number of sessions, and proposed costs. Applicants are encouraged to submit before October 2, 2023, but applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. This posting will remain on SJAC’s website until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.